News & Events
The Asia Rice Foundation's (ARF) Annual Rice Policy Forum 2018
The Asia Rice Foundation (ARF) in partnership with the Philippine Council for Agriculture, Aquatic and Natural Resources Research and Development (PCAARRD), DA-Bureau of Agricultural Research (BAR), Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA), Department of Agriculture (DA) National Rice Program, DA-Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice), and Coalition for Agriculture Modernization in the Philippines (CAMP), organized the ARF Annual Rice Policy Forum titled Mobilizing Support for the National Rice Roadmap on 30 October 2018 at the Elvira O. Tan Hall, PCAARRD, Los Baños, Laguna.
The objectives of the Forum were: (1) Present and discuss the national rice roadmap, its goals and implementing strategies; (2) Propose strategic pillars for the national rice roadmap; (3) Recommend policy measures to make Filipino rice farmers competitive with their ASEAN counterparts; and (4) Taking off from the proceedings, publish a book on strengthening the Philippine rice industry from a policy perspective under the aegis of ASEAN integration.
The Forum was attended by 130 participants from 50 organizations. There were six presentations during the Plenary Session, namely:
- Overview of the National Rice Roadmap, by Dr. Flordeliza Bordey, Deputy Executive Director, PhilRice CES
- Rice Intensification Through Hybrids, by Mr. Recher Ondap, President, Rice Board
- Diversification in Rice-Based Farming Systems, by Dr. Reynaldo Castro, Director, PhilRice Batac
- Challenges and Opportunities in Rice Mechanization, by Dr. Arnold Juliano, Head, Rice Engineering and Mechanization, PhilRice CES
- Reforming the National Food Authority, by Mr. Romeo David, Former Administrator, NFA
- Decoupled Payments as Safety Nets for Rice Farmers, by Ms. Ivory Myka Galang, Research Associate, Philippine Institute for Development Studies (PIDS)
In addition, there were Roundtable Discussions that followed the presentations. The Main Discussants during the Roundtable Discussions were Dr. Lourdes Adriano, ADB, Dr. Fermin Adriano, World Bank, Dr. Leonardo Gonzales, STRIVE/SIKAP Foundation, Inc., Dr. Ernie Ordoñez, AFA, and Mr. Senen Reyes, UA&P.
The proceedings of the Forum will be published into a book on rice policy.