Fried Rice with Shrimp in Pineapple
- 1 pineapple (about 3 lb)
- 10 oz peeled shrimp
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallot
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 2 1/4 cups day-old cooked rice
- salt and sugar for taste
- Cut the pineapple in half lengthwise so that the crown of leaves remains on one half. Peel the other half and cut out the 'eyes' and the hard inner core. Dice the pineapple flesh. Hollow out the half with the leaves, leaving an edge about 1/2-inch thick, then dice the scooped-out fruit and set aside.
- Devein the shrimp and cut them into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a wok and saute the shallot and garlic until the shallot is translucent, then remove. Add the shrimp to the wok and fry on all sides for about 1 minute, then remove them too. Add the turmeric, curry powder, and shrimp paste to the wok and stir-fry briefly, then tip in the cooked rice and stir-fry for a few minutes. Add the pineapple cubes and saute. Mix in the shrimp, shallots, and garlic, and season with salt and sugar.
- Pile the mixture into the hollowed-out pineapple half and bake for about 10 minutes, and serve immediately.