Khai Phra Arthit (Sun Egg)
“When I was young, His Majesty used to cook for me a dish which he called "Khai Phra Arthit (Sun egg).
”I was asked why the dish was called Khai Phra Arthit. I asked His Majesty and he said that when you look through binoculars, the sun's surface appears similar to grains of rice. In French, it's called grain de riz."
- HRH Princess Maha Chakri SirindhornMethod:
- Beat one whole egg as if you were making an omelette. (Do not whip the egg as heavily as you would for a cake.)
- Add one ladle of cooked rice to the egg mixture.
- Season with a few drops of Maggi sauce. (Overseas, where His Majesty spent his childhood, fish sauce was hard to find. These days, most Thais prefer to use fish sauce rather than Maggi.)
- Heat the pan, and add a little oil (less than the amount used for making an omelette).
- Pour the egg and rice mixture into the pan, and leave to cook until the edge turns brown and crispy but the centre is still moist.
- Serve hot.