- Rice - 1 cup
- Toor dal - ¼ cup
- Sundaikkai - ¼ cup
- Fennel seeds - ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Garlic - 4 pearls
- Onion (Medium) - 1
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Sambar powder - ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - for tempering
- Clean and soak dal and rice for 10 minutes.
- Crush and wash sundaikkai and keep aside.
- Crush the garlic and slice onion.
- Heat oil in a rice cooker, add mustard seeds, garlic, sliced onion, fennel and cumin seeds, sundaikkai, sambar powder and turmeric. Sauté.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt to the mixture and bring to boil.
- Add drained rice and dal to the boiling water. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Can be served with curd or raita.