Kollu Rice (Rice with horsegram)
- Rice - 1 cup
- Horse gram - ¼ cup
- Onion (medium) - 1
- Mustard seeds - ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Fennel seeds (Sombu) - 1tsp
- Cumin seeds (Jeeragam) - 1tsp
- Sambar powder - as required
- Turmeric Powder - a pinch
- Garam masala - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - for tempering
- Coriander leaves - ¼ bunch
- Clean and soak horse gram and rice for 10 minutes.
- Slice the onion and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a rice cooker and add mustard, cumin and fennel seeds, curry leaves, onion, sambar powder, garam masala and turmeric. Sauté well.
- Add 2 cups of water to the sautéed mixture and bring it to boil. Add salt.
- Add the drained rice and horse gram to the boiling water.
- Close the cooker and cook for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve with raitha or curd.
Note: In place of horse gram, you can also add other pulses.
Source: The Hindu, August 25, 2003